Cost of Heart Transplant in India: –
The minimum cost for a Heart Transplant in India starts from INR Rs.6,65,000 The average price of a Heart Transplant in India is INR Rs.10,00,000 The maximum amount to be paid for Heart Transplant in India is up to INR Rs.16,50,000
Few of the factors that may affect the cost of Heart Transplant in India are:
Admission feeSurgeon feeAge of the patientType of the donorThe medical condition of the patientPost-surgical complications that are involvedAdmission room that you opted forAny other lab tests or examination tests such as X-ray, ECG, etc.
When these factors are taken into consideration, the cost of Heart Transplant Surgery in India on an average is USD 9,400 to USD 23,500 whereas, the same surgery in the US costs around USD 14,00,000.
How many heart transplants occur in India each year?
Cost of a heart transplant in India – The number of heart transplants has picked up an enormous pace in the last few years in India. The average heart transplant cost in India is about USD 30,000 to 45,000. There are at least 10 hospitals spread around India that perform heart transplants regularly.
What is the survival rate of a heart transplant patient?
Around 88% of heart transplant patients survive the first year post-surgery, while the 5-year survival rate is 75% and 56% for 10 year survival. Heart failure is considered only when all the possible treatments, such as medications, surgeries, lifestyles have failed.
What is a heart transplant and who needs one?
Heart transplant cost in India The first heart transplant was performed in 1967 by South African surgeon Christiaan Barnard at the Groote Schuur Hospital in Cape Town, which has since become world famous. Barnard placed the heart of a young woman who had died in a road accident in the body of a 55-year-old man.
- A heart transplant is the last resort for people with heart failure in whom the heart muscle is no longer strong enough to keep the blood circulation moving.
- In a major operation, the weakened heart is replaced by a donor’s heart.
- If a donor’s heart is not immediately available – which unfortunately is often the case – then the waiting time is bridged by a mechanical support heart as a bridge to transplant.
The heart transplant technique has been around for more than forty years. In the beginning, the outlook after a heart transplant was not very good. Today, approximately 4,000 heart transplants are performed worldwide every year, and the chances are much better.
What happens during a heart transplant?
What to expect during a Heart Transplant – Just before the heart transplant in India, you will get anesthesia to make you unconscious and put you to sleep. Surgeons do heart-transplant surgery using open-heart surgery. Initially, small incisions of size 3 to 4 inches are done in the chest to open the rib cage.
- While the heart is temporarily made to stop, surgeons use a heart-lung machine to keep the blood and oxygen flowing through your lungs and body during the surgery.
- Once the transplantation process completes, the surgeon removes the patient’s damaged heart and substitutes the healthy donor heart into the site.
The main artery called the aorta, and pulmonary arteries are not replaced, while the major vessels are attached to the replaced heart. The substituted heart starts beating as soon as blood flow is restored. In case, the blood flow is obstructed, an electric show is given to make the new heartbeat adequately.