Why do I feel pain in my stomach when I stretch? – If you feel a sharp pain near your belly button that gets worse when you stretch or cough, you might have a hernia. A bulge near the belly button is the most common symptom. You may also experience pain in the area near your groin.
– If you feel a sharp pain near your belly button that gets worse when you stretch or cough, you might have a hernia. A bulge near the belly button is the most common symptom. You may also experience pain in the area near your groin. Hernias are caused by increased pressure near the belly button, and part of the intestine or fatty tissue then bulges out.
weak abdominal wallslifting heavy weightsgaining weight quicklychronic coughing
Learn the signs and symptoms for the different types of hernias.
Is Bellybutton Pain a Hernia? – Bellybutton pain is a potential sign of a, according to the, While usually painless in children, umbilical hernias can cause abdominal pain and discomfort in adults. Other potential signs or symptoms are visible swelling or a bulge near the navel, vomiting or tenderness or discoloration in the area.
Pain that starts in or near the bellybutton could also be a symptom of appendicitis, according to, This is especially suspected if the bellybutton pain is accompanied by nausea, vomiting, loss of appetite, pain when the abdomen is pressed or other unusual behavior that accompanies the abdominal pain.
If any of these signs are detected along with bellybutton pain, seek emergency medical attention. In other cases, the pain in the bellybutton can present with no visible abnormalities, and a medical cause for the pain is not found. According to, this is known as functional abdominal pain.
What to Do About Bellybutton Pain When Stretching A number of conditions may cause abdominal pain when stretching. Image Credit: wakila/iStock/GettyImages Pain in or around the bellybutton can be an alarming sensation. It can be sharp and sudden, or it may come on slowly. It can also feel like it’s coming directly from the bellybutton, or elsewhere.
Why does my stomach hurt when I stretch?
It can also occur if you strain or sprain a muscle or ligament with sudden changes of direction or by using improper form while stretching or exercising. Blunt force trauma, such as falling or coming into contact with a hard object while stretching, can also result in abdominal pain.
Hernia – Key characteristics: Lower abdominal pain; visible bulge A hernia is when there is a weakened area in the abdominal wall. A hernia may cause a bump or bulge in the abdomen. You may feel pain, pressure, or a pulling feeling the radiates from the belly button down into the lower abdomen.
- Pain after Surgery. It is not unusual to feel pain around belly button after an abdominal surgery.
- Pregnancy. Pregnancy causes changes in your body.
- Hernias. A hernia is a fairly common condition.
- Bacterial Infection.
- Stomach Ulcers.
- Problems with the Pancreas.
- Disorder of the Small Intestine.
You might also find that pain above or below your belly button radiates to your pelvic area, legs, or chest. Some common causes of belly button discomfort and pain are due to issues with your digestive system. For example, trapped gas, irritable bowel syndrome, or Crohn’s disease can all cause aching pains around your belly button.
– People with PUD may also experience a burning sensation in the abdomen. Doctors will diagnose PUD when the inner lining of the stomach, small intestine, or lower esophagus becomes compromised by stomach acid secretions or pepsin. This is an enzyme that breaks down protein. Doctors have identified several factors that may cause PUD, including:
Helicobacter pylori infectionuse of nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs), such as ibuprofen or naproxenuse of other medications, such as corticosteroids, bisphosphonates, potassium chloride, steroids, or fluorouracil
Smoking may also play a role in intestinal ulcers, while alcohol consumption can irritate the stomach and promote gastric acid release into the stomach.
What are the common causes of umbilical pain?
- Endometriosis is a condition where cells found in the womb lining are found outside the uterus.
- Pelvic Inflammatory Disease
- If your chronic pain is accompanied by discharge or fever,it could be an infection such as pelvic inflammatory disease or PID.